The dip you'll want to bring to the party you aren't having.
Hello and welcome to the first recipe of 2021!
There is something so delicious and humble about chips and dip. Snacking on a crunchy chip or veggie and dunking it into a deliciously creamy dip is one of the best snacks you can have. My family loves sour cream and onion dip, and a childhood favorite of mine is Heluva Good’s French Onion Dip. My dad is known for keeping a stash of at least three Lipton French Onion Dip mixes in the pantry at all times (he’s kind of addicted).
French Onion Dip is simultaneously tangy, savory, and sweet; Dipping a kettle cooked chip into it takes it over the top. A testimony to this dips deliciousness is the fact that no one wants onion-breath at a party; Yet, when this dip is brought out, everyone immediately goes to eat some.The best part about this recipe is that you probably already have all the ingredients in your home. I developed and tested this recipe solely because I needed to use up some leftover sour cream.
15 Mins Prep
25 Mins Cook
1 Hour Rest
2 large yellow onions, sliced
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
16 oz sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1. Start by chopping your onions into thin half-ring slices.
2. Heat a pan over medium heat and melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, add your onions and salt.
3. Slowly cook on medium to medium-high heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and tender. In the last minute of cooking add your garlic powder, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce then set the pan aside to cool.
4. In a separate bowl combine your sour cream, mayo, and cooled onion mixture.
5. Let rest in the fridge for at least an hour before serving to ensure the favors are well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference. Optionally, top with a sprinkle of chopped chives or “Everything But The Bagel” seasoning for an extra flavorful bite.